From April 23-27, 2017 members of Detroit Mercy Dental traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico to attend the 2017 National Oral Health Conference presented by the American Association of Public Health Dentistry. Dean Aksu, faculty, and students, gained insight as they attended special seminars and presentations which will help the School to build upon existing programming and outreach initiatives, as well as develop new ones.
Dr. Judith Jones, professor and associate dean for academic administration provided two oral presentation titled, “The Association Between Dental Fluorosis and Dental Caries Among Children and Adolescents in the United States” and “Adding a Dental Benefit to Medicare.”
The following faculty and students presented research boards:
- Dr. Melanie Mayberry, clinical associate professor: “Impact of Integrating OB and Oral Health; One Year Later”
- Dr. Divesh Byrappagari, assistant professor and director of the Division of Public Health and Community Outreach: “Knowledge, Opinions, and Practices of Michigan General Dental Practitioners Regarding the First Dental Visit”
- Dr. Divesh Byrappagari, assistant professor and director of the Division of Public Health and Community Outreach and Gina Diakonov, clinical instructor and coordinator of Community Programs: “Strategies for Improving Participation in a School Based Sealant Program – a Focus Group of Parents”
- Dr. Divesh Byrappagari, assistant professor and director of the Division of Public Health and Community Outreach, DS3 Kelvin Chen, and DS3 Alex Jung: “Students’ Knowledge and Perception of Mid-Level Providers: A Survey of Michigan Dental Schools”
- Dr. Tarik Shounia, clinical assistant professor: “Dental Caries Prevalence and Treatment Needs in a School Based Dental Program Using def/DFT and Significant Caries Index”
President of AAPHD Detroit Mercy student chapter, DS3 Sabrina Wadood, represented the School at the Student Chapter Council Meeting. She is photographed below with other student representatives from dental schools across the country.